Doug Swain Software Developer
Senior Software Developer Liberty Mutual Insurance (June 2016 - Present)
My role on this team is to help lead the implementation of a new online claim status tracking web app. This includes designs of major portions of the functionality of the app such as tracking a claim through phases and enabling documents to be uploaded.
- Designed and wrote application using the portfolio's System of Engagement architecture (Express/Node, MongoDB, and GraphQL). The old architecture did not include a System of Engagement, and instead directly interacted with the back-end System of Record.
- Enhanced Webpack builds to reduced build artifact size by ~25% to improve application load times.
- Set up automated functional tests within our app using Behavioral Driven Development (BDD) techniques and Webdriver IO.
- Configured multiple CI pipelines using Bamboo.
- Acted as a technical coach to existing developers who were new to the architecture, as well as new developers just starting to code for the first time.
- Participated in customer testing and usability studies to determine the behavior our app should have.
ES2015, React, Redux, Apollo Client, Mocha/Chai, Sinon, ExpressJS, NodeJS, GraphQL, WebDriverIO, Sass, Webpack, Bamboo, MongoDB
Software Developer Liberty Mutual Insurance (June 2015 - June 2016)
My role on this team was to build major features of a new online claim filing web app. This included designing the original navigation system, setting up our initial pass at the apollo-client, and implementing pieces of the newly created functional test suite.
- Determined the use of a System of Engagement back-end architecture (Express/Node, MongoDB, and GraphQL). The old architecture did not include a System of Engagement, and instead directly interacted with the back-end System of Record.
- Helped implement the department-wide use of automated functional tests within our app using BDD-techniques and Webdriver IO.
- Presented to stakeholders and worked with them to gain feedback to improve upon the product.
- Participated in UX testing, analytics, and validated learning techniques to improve our product. This allowed us determine needed functionality and test assumptions about our user experience.
ES2015, React, Redux, Apollo Client, ExpressJS, NodeJS, Jest, WebDriverIO, GraphQL, CSS
Software Developer Liberty Mutual Insurance (June 2013 - June 2015)
My role on this team was to contribute to all front-end development of the online self-service web app (billing and claims primarily). This included adding new functionality to the app, enhancing the framework the app was created on, and making a utility to automate the maintenance of a shared test environment used for local development.
- Implementing the front-end to an online account maintenance and services application.
- Created Node.js tool for automating code updates on test virtual machines.
- Created and maintained wiki documentation outside of the code and jsdoc for documentation inside the code.
- Acted as liaison & support to Business Systems Analysts during testing.
Associate Software Developer Liberty Mutual Insurance (June 2011 - June 2013)
Student Intern Software Forge Inc (May 2010 - May 2011)
C#, .NET 4.0
Programming Assistance Center - Consultant Software Forge Inc (Sept 2008 - May 2011)
Java, C, Linux, SSH
Web Developer & Technical Support Global Online Electronic Services (May 2006 - Jan 2010)
PHP, MySQL, IIS, Linux, Windows Server 2000, Apache, HTML, CSS
apollo-client - "When Non-OK Response Received from fetch, throw an error including the response"
apollo-client - "Invoke afterware after any kind of response"
mime-types - "Add in new public function - lookupAll()"
mockerana - A small tool for generating mock data in F#
City Codes - One of my first functional programming (FP) explorations
fp-challenges - A repository of small challenges to explore and understand FP concepts
University of New Hampshire - BS Computer Science - May 2011
Hackettstown High School - June 2007